Central Library

Introduction

The Central Library is located in the main administration Block of the University of Peshawar. The Central Library was established in February 1951. Initially it was housed in a small room in the old Central Training College building (presently The Agricultural Research Centre, adjacent to Khyber Teaching Hospital). The library then shifted to the University Science Block. It was later on transferred to the present premises in 1957. The Central Library has just gone through a massive uplift and renovation process in 2001. This project was an essential part of the general reform and restructuring process that the University has embarked upon to cope with theisting 4-storey building with an area of 16000 sq. ft. (approx.) The library has 1,58000 volumes in addition to 696 precious manuscripts of oriental languages versio

           The ground floor houses a Security and Information Desk, in addition to double sided stacks area housed with general books. A stairway in the western side leads to the reading floor, major book stacks and seating facility for library user

The library has an automation and digital library program and its implementation has begun. Presently the library is using WINISIS Software for its books and theses databases. The retrospective catalogue conversion is going  on                                                                                overview