Centre of Plant Biodiversity
Contact No: 091-9216702 Ext. 3188 & 091-9218291
Pakistan is gifted naturally with wide geographic, topographic and altitudinal variations, creating highly diversified micro and macro-habitats for Plant Natural Resources. Habitat loss, overgrazing, deforestation, pollution, species invasion and diverse biotic interferences have threatened Plant Biodiversity. There is extreme scarcity of skilled Human Resource capacity in the country for exploration of such resources. This can be judged by sustainable biodiversity conservation activities in the form of existing botanical gardens, herbaria and research laboratories throughout the country. In prevailing rapidly changing world scenario on Convention on Biological Biodiversity (CBD), Global Strategy for Plant Conservation, National Conservation Strategy (NCS), Provincial Conservation Strategies (PCS) and National Biodiversity Action Plan (BAP-N) it was extremely demanding need to focus on Conservation and sustainable development of Plant Biodiversity and to take capacity building measures for this purpose.
Therefore, to participate in the worldwide implementation of Global Strategy for Plant Conservation (GSPC), a Botanical Garden project was launched jointly by University of Peshawar, Higher Education Commission, Islamabad and KP Government for focusing the targets of Conservation and sustainable utilization of biodiversity of Pakistan. University of Peshawar initiated this project in April, 2004, HEC provided Rs. 37.861 million for development of Botanical Garden in October, 2004, while KP Government. managed the transfer of developed land of Azakhel Park spreading over an area of 83 acres on 16 December, 2005 to the University of Peshawar. Besides the establishment of the Botanical Garden, Centre of Plant Biodiversity was established in February 2006 with the following vision, mission and objectives.
Conservation, education, sustainable utilization and capacity building in the field of Plant Biodiversity to serve the innocent creatures and humanity.
The Centre of Plant Biodiversity (CPB) is aimed to develop a Botanical Garden spreading over 83 acres of land at Azakhel Nowshera, including the provision of herbarium, museum, research laboratories, botanical nurseries, green houses, conference hall, lecture theaters, library and faculty offices for training of students leading to non degree and degree awarding Programmes like short courses, diplomas, B.S., M. Phil. and Ph. D. degrees in various disciplines of Plant Biodiversity. The Centre also provides forum for exchange of mutual ideas by arranging conferences, seminars, workshops and other gatherings.
- The main objectives of the Centre of Plant Biodiversity are enumerated below.
- To create national research centre of excellence in the diverse fields of Plant Biodiversity including Plant Systematics, Ecology, Conservation Biology, Medicinal Plants, Ethnobotany, Germplasm evaluation, Genetic Screening, introduction, propagation, cultivation of ornamental plants and Cryo-preservation.
- To develop and manage scientific collection, documentation and preservation of national plant resources in the Herbarium as permanent source for research.
- To grow and manage protection of rare, endangered and valuable species (ex-situ Conservation) from diverse habitats of the region in the University of Peshawar Botanical Garden (UPBG) as a living permanent record for education, research, capacity building and healthy recreation.
- To provide a nodal point for national botanical database management.
- To promote Pakistan internationally within the botanical database management field.
- To provide a base for conservation, sustainable management and use of national plant natural resources.
- To pursue research, education and training relevant to various disciplines of Plant Biodiversity.
- To play vital role in implementation of Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD), Global Strategy for Plant Conservation, National Conservation Strategy (NCS), Provincial Conservation Strategies (PCS) and National Biodiversity Action Plan (BAP-N).
- To create healthy academic and recreational avenues for various segments of the Community.