Department of Gender Studies
Contact No: 92919221043
Our aim is to be one of the leading departments in the field of Gender Studies in Pakistan. With the aim of providing opportunities for gender sensitive inter and multidisciplinary scholarship, research and training.
Being interdisciplinary in nature the Department of Gender Studies examines various disciplines in ways in which distinction of gender and socio-political inequalities are defined and discussed. The department would also offer research and training opportunities not only to students but government and non-government sector professionals in order to stimulate evaluation of contemporary development approaches and strategies as they affect gender roles in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa in particular and the nation at large.
- Interrogating important qualities regarding the categories of woman and man in terms of exploring identities and the politics played behind the scenes is our main objective.
- To help develop a theoretical frame of analysis of various dimensions of Gender Studies.
- To promote a critique of existing knowledge in relation to gender and other disciplines.
- To enable the students to organize development projects more effectively, keeping in view gender needs.
- To help develop sustainable strategies for combating poverty, health, and environmental hazards.
- To mainstream gender perspectives in national development.
- Postgraduate Certificate Courses
- Postgraduate Diploma
Besides, the department has to ensure that the discipline of Gender Studies is included:
- In the Public Service Commission as a separate and specialized discipline for various appointments
- Gender Studies paper should be included in CSS.
- As a separate discipline for various foreign scholarships like Fullbright, USAID, DAAD, British Council’s etc.
- As a part of Bachelors curriculum in at least four major colleges of Peshawar, that is, Jinnah College for Woman, Islamia College University, Edwardes College and Frontier College.
- Establish a Research Cell: to train advanced levels; help research scholars from other disciplines; and promote a culture of serious and authentic research which can be useful for various government databases as well.