Department of Psychology
Contact No: +92919216689
University of Peshawar was established on 30th October, 1950. The Department of Psychology came into existence in 1964. Professor Dr. Shahabuddin Muhammad Moghni, laid the foundations of Psychology Department as its first Professor and Chairman. Although Psychology was introduced for the first time in North West Frontier Province, now Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, yet the number of students enrolled was quite large. There were 25 students in all, (13 boys and 12 girls).
Prof . Dr. S. M. Moghni had no one to help him and he had to look after administration as well as teaching and research. The discipline of Psychology was adjusted in 2 rooms in the Department of Geology and Department of Geography. There was a dearth of books and laboratory experimental material that are very important for students of Psychology.
The first person to join Professor Moghni in this endeavor was Prof. Dr. Zafar Afaq Ansari. He joined this Department as a Lecturer in December 1964.
The syllabi approved for the Previous Year class consisted of three theory papers (History of Psychology; Abnormal Psychology; Social Psychology) and Laboratory work. Dr. Moghni taught History of Psychology, Introduction & Experimental Psychology whereas Dr. Ansari was teaching Abnormal Psychology as well as supervising the Laboratory work (including a basic course in Statistics). Teaching load was greatly increased when the previous year students were promoted to the final class. The same faculty members had to teach three more theory papers (Experimental Psychology, Physiological Psychology, Testing and Measurement), and practicum.
In January 1966, Prof. Dr. Alay Ahmad joined the faculty as a Lecturer and shared the teaching responsibilities. In 1965-66, the Department established its first Library and Experimental Laboratory. Now the students could practically learn what they were taught and they got firsthand experience of conducting Psychological Experiments and scoring Psychological Tests. Due to lack of space in the original building, the Department was shifted to Quaid-e-Azam College of Commerce in late 1966. In 1968, Prof. Dr. Mah Nazir Riaz, one of the first graduates, joined the Department as a Lecturer. By 1969, the faculty expanded. It consisted of one Professor, four Lecturers, and one Demonstrator. But the sojourn in the Commerce College was too brief and its classes had to move to Youth Hostel (the building to the right of the department, previously IMS Junior section and now a part of the Psychology Departmennt housing the BS section). A new building for this Department was considered a must by the University because its activities had greatly expanded. The present building is the outcome of that great-felt need and was designed specially as Psychology Department.
The Department moved in to the present site in 1972 and started expanding in terms of Faculty members, Seminar Library, Laboratory Equipment and Psychological Tests etc. Prof. Dr. Farhana Jahangir joined in 1979, Professor Dr. Maher Bano (Retd.) in 1980, Dr. Nasim Riaz Sahibzada in 1980, Dr. Rahat Sajjad (Retd.) in 1982, Professor Dr. Zulfiqar Hussain Gilani (Retd.) in 1982 (also remained VC of our University, now in Canada), Dr. Nighat Gilani in 1987, Dr. Muhammad Jahanzeb Khan (presently VC Swat University) in 1990, Dr. Erum Irshad (Presently Chaiperson of the Department) in 1996.
In 1995 a Mass Communication Lab, was established by Dr. Alay Ahmad, and in 1997-98 a Computer section was established by Dr. Muhammad Jahanzeb Khan during Dr. Mah Nazir's tenure. Presently, the Department has a fully equipped Library, Laboratory for experimentation, and a computer section.
In 2010 a Psychology Clinic was established in Dr.Jehanzeb teure,which is headed by Dr Erum Irshad.Psychology clinic provide Assessment and psychotherapy services to Students,faculty and general poulation.
In Nov. 2012 speech Therapy Was established by Dr.Erum Irshad, which is one of the first unit in all public sector universities in Pakistan,The aim of the unit is to provide consultation to those who are having speech problems like stammering and stuttering among children and adolescents.
Another mile stone is the Establishment of " Competence and Trauma Center for Journalists (CTCJ").This centre was establhished by Dr.Erum Irshad on 24th Nov. 2014, that has been envisioned to provide assistance and psychological help to journalists and media personals in collaboration with Deutsche Well (DW) Academy, Germany. The aim of CTCJ is to work for the psychotherapy of the journalists suffering from the psychological trauma while covering incidents like drone attacks, bomb blasts and other catastrophes in the region as the war zones had affected their lives both bodily and psychologically, but unfortunately no attention has been given to this problem in the past.Many journalists consulted and benefited from the centre.
The Department of Psychology aspires to the highest standards of excellence in teaching, research, and service, which striving to become a more inclusive and diverse academic community that respects differences among individuals.
The Psychology Department provided academically sound courses that promote knowledge of Psychological concepts, issues, methods, theories, applications, and critical thinking. It is committed to excellent teaching, nationally recognized research and outstanding service to the university, profession, and community.
- To provide excellent education.
- To train and prepare graduates students for careers in scientific psychology and scientifically based professional practice.
- To carry out these educational goals in the context of a research-oriented department founded on the principales of scholarly excellence, interdisci;linary collaboration, and wide-ranging service.
- To assist students in cultivating skills and knowledge necessary for success in endeavors after completion of the degree.
- To develop the students, generic skills in research methods, statistics and critical thinking, which will allow them to evaluate future trends in the field of Psychology and prepare them for a lifetime learning.
- To provide each students with a basic knowledge of general psychology and of the special areas of Clinical Psychology, Counseling Psychology and Psychometrics.
- To provide didactic instruction and supervised training in psychological research. Our intent is to enable each student to beomce proficient in conduction research and evaluating the research of other.
- To provide dicatic instruction and supervised training in the practice of Clinical Psychology, Counseling psychological lassessment and interviention.
- To encourage students to integrate empirical findings and theoretical frameworks with clinical and counseling practice.
- To encourage appreciation of diversity across content areas of science and practice.
- To prepare each student to make ethically and legally informed decisions about clinical, counseling, psychometric, research, and other professional issues.
- To foster and indentification with profession of clinical psychology, counseling psychology, an psychological assessment, participation in professional communities, and active professional service.
- To foster collegial and appropriate professional relationships.