Department of Library and Information Science
Contact No: +92919221046
The dawn of independence opened a new era for Library and Information Science education in Pakistan. Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, the land of brave people could not gain any amenity from the British rulers in pre-partition era, but soon after the independence, University of Peshawar was established; Central library, University of Peshawar was inaugurated in 1951.
Academic faculties and libraries needed trained library scientists. who could manage and establish the departmental libraries. For this purpose Department of Library and Information Science was established in 1962. It initially started postgraduate diploma course (DLIS), on part time basis. In spite of lack of funds, teaching faculty, building, etc, the Master's Degree programme in Library and Information Sciences was started in 1983-84. Since its inception, the department has produced more than 2000 library and information science graduates, serving at National and International level. The department is located on the 3rd floor in the new constructed building of Sheikh Muhammad Taimur Academic Block at slot 13 (East Wing).
Good leadership in academic excellence; achievement of the desired goals; serving the humanity through research and consultancy.
The mission of the Department of Library and Information Science is to prepare outstanding educators, scholars, and researchers, and to advance the profession of Library and Information Sciences.
- Impart quality education in the field of Library and Information Science through multidisciplinary and thematic approach.
- Help to prepare Library and Information Science professionals recognized for the quality and significance of their library operations, management, teaching, research, service, outreach, and leadership.
- Provide widely recognized leadership in the improvement of teaching, learning, and the assessment of educational outcomes across the life span through research, and technology.
- Enhance the commitment of faculty, staff, and students to the centrality of diversity, social justice, and democratic citizenship.
- Provide leadership in the development of collaborative, professional relationships with departments, organizations, and other institutions focused on the improvement of library education in departments, communities, and workplace settings.
- Sustain a caring, supportive environment throughout the university.
- Enhance the effective and efficient management of the Department.
- Promote collaboration and interdisciplinary relationship with the teaching and research organizations in the country and abroad.